Monday 2 September 2013

the mortal instruments.

So my pretty much all time favourite book series, is The Mortal Instruments. Originally a trilogy, there are now 5 books in the series, with a sixth to soon be released. I began reading the first book at the start of the year as my best one kindly brought it for my birthday, I finished reading the fifth book not long after that. Addicted is not the word.

Shadowhunters, demons, faeries, warlocks, vampires and werewolves. Fantasy at it's most extreme. Romance, betrayal, war, magic and humour. It's everything you could need in a book. Falling in love with book characters is an annoying habit of mine, but as soon as Jace steps into the scene in the first book, I was hooked. 



So a year ago, no one had heard of this series... Now it seems to be everywhere! And now the first film has been released. Last night I went, along with my favourite lady and both our partners (much to their dismay) to see if the film lived up to our expectations. 

As a nerd, I hate it when films miss out bits of the book, which happens almost every time. First half of the film was excellent, they followed it almost to a T, although I didn't like the characters as I'd imagined them to look completely different, but I guess that's personal preference. About half way through, they completely changed what happens. I was sitting there like, WTH is going on? This never happens. And the ending was completely changed, so not sure how they're meant to follow it on. So that kind of ruined it for me.
If I hadn't read the book, the film would of been amazing. But I'm annoying and constantly pick out what does and doesn't happen in the books. 

But I have to say, this is honestly one of, if not THEE best book series I have read so far. After the fifth book I felt like the characters were my best mates and Jace was my boyfriend, (I wish).

(Matching MI rune tattoos, because we're nerds - left one is mine)


(Cinema times!)


I'd recommend this to anyone who loves a good fantasy and getting lost in a completely different reality. 10/10 for sure.

- Charli, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :) Check back as I reply to every single one! (I'm just a bit slow)